[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Northsea daylight fireball update

Hi all,

An update on the Northsea daylight fireball of May 31, ~ 18:46 UTC.

Turns out the The Hague observer inadvertently switched north and south (as
the sun made preparations to set at his left side when he was playing
badminton and the fireball moved away from him). With that clearified, his
azimuth 170 thus must read 350. Incidently, this makes his sightline cross
almost exactly at the node of the two infrasound detection lines.

I received more info on the sighting from the sailing yacht as well. This
yacht was sailing in a sailing competition about 8 nautic miles out of the
coast, about 15 nautic miles north of Scheveningen, in direction 169
degrees, as I understand it. The crew saw the fireball pass almost overhead,
moving roughly parallel to the coast, from azimuth 180 to azimuth 30, ending
at aproximately 60-75 degrees altitude. The exact position of the yacht is
still not entirely clear but I hope to get a more exact position later this
week.

The sightings point to a fragmenting bright and slow fireball (several
seconds duration) with an end point close to the node of the infrasound
detections (see www.knmidot nl/~evers), coming from the south-southeast,
roughly parallel to the Dutch coast. If anything survived, it appears it
went down in sea.

- Marco Langbroek (DMS)

Drs Marco Langbroek

marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
meteorites@dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek

"What seest thou else
 In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

                            William Shakespeare
                            The Tempest act I scene 2