[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) News of the Vitim bolide

Dear All,

Russian State Television just broadcasted news concerning the September 2002
Vitim (Bodaibo) bolide:
http://www.vesti.ru/news.html?id=33870
Below is its transtation using
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ with minor corrections
======================
06.06.2003 15:36  News
In Irkutsk region the point of impact in the gigantic meteorite is
discovered
In Irkutsk region is found the point of impact during September of last
year of gigantic Vitimskogo meteorite. The expedition of scientific
organization "kosmopoisk" revealed/detected in 60 km from the settlement
Mama an area about 100 square kilometers, where trees/wood were burned and
thrown down.The fragments of meteorite are also found, reported the
substituent of the chapter of the administration of Mamsko- Chunsk region
Aleksandr Bogun.... (the follow up is omited)
=============
I talked a couple days ago with a person who had talked by phone with a
leader of Kosmopoisk (by the way, this is organization on research of UFOs,
etc.). The person did retell me the conversation. The leader phoned from the
Mama settlement area. The expedition was in taiga. It was told that about 2
areas of the forest fall and tree-burning with dimensions 10 by 6 and 15 by
8 kilometers were discovered.  No words about the discovered meteorite
fragments were told.  So I hope that they discovered them within the last 2
days...  The problem is that such large areas of destruction hardly conform
with a moderate size of the hypothetical meteorite (meteoroid), so the
question "how is the devastation connected with the Vitim bolide?" must be
investigated.  As I know, there is a geology-associated person in the
expedition, but I don't know the person's experience with meteorites.
We can just wait for more detailed info.

Sincerely,
Andrei Ol'khovatov
Russia, Moscow