[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation June 16/17 2003

Here is my observations from June 16/17, 2003.  I observed meteors at
the Casselman site for a short one hour TEFF near midnight (prior to
moonrise) under clear skies.  The Moon was very bright as soon as it
cleared the horizon so I was forced to sign off early.  I recorded 6
meteors including two antihelions (Sagittarids).  No activity was
seen from the June Lyrid or Xi Draconid radiants.

The highlight was a slow moving Sagittarid of zero magnitude with an
orange hue that appeared in the western sky.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 16/17 2003
BEGIN: 0303 UT (2303 EST)  END: 0405 UT (0005 EST)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 50m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder - plotting method

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________________radiant position
		ANT (antihelion source - Sagittarids)__________1812 -23
		XDR (Xi Draconids)_____________________________1830 +56
		JLY (June Lyrids)______________________________1828 +35
		napx (sporadics from the north apex)___________2328 +12
		sapx (sporadics from the south apex)___________2328 -28
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD____Teff__LM____SPO_ANT_XDR_JLY_napx_sapx

0303-0405__1714+14__1.01__6.09___4___2___0___0____/___/  =  6

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined by
triangle star counts. All following columns indicate the number of
meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______+0__+1__+2__+3__+4_____AVE

SPO____0___0___1___1___2____+3.25
ANT____1___0___1___0___0____+1.00

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball.  The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

Corresponding F value:  1.00 for this session.

Dead time:  1.16 minutes

Breaks (UT):  3:23 (20sec)