[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: June Bootids from Xinglong, China

Huan,

Rainer is referring to the ZHR of your sporadics. With a limiting magnitude of 4.9 the correction factor to magnitude +6.5 is near 6.4, which yields a rate of 77 sporadics per hour. Therefore your data states that someone under skies with a limiting magnitude of +6.5 will see 77 sporadic meteors per hour.

You must be underestimating your limiting magnitude. If your LM was truly +4.9 then you should not be seeing more than 2 sporadic meteors per hour.

Which method of estimating limiting magnitudes are you using? I endorse the IMO's "star counting" method. With this method I obtain three estimates at the beginning and end of each hour. The three estimates are usually no more than .3 of a magnitude apart and usually much closer.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford