[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) JBO observation at Xinglong, China (ZHUJI, June 28/29)

As has been oft-discussed here before, individuals at the same
location may have markedly different LMs on the same night; and
individuals with similar LMs can of course have quite different
meteor perceptions as well! (Anyone who doubts this should look
at results from the joint sessions of Bob Lunsford and George
Zay in the 1990s, or Norm McLeod and Bill Gates in the 1970s.)

One thing I will note: during our 2001 Leonid observing campaign
in Xinglong, China, I was awake for 5 of the 6 nights, and my LM
never fell below 7.0... And for those who are curious, I've been
using the same LM estimating method since 1996 - star counts in
two or three IMO fields per half hour, using averted vision and
"rapid counting" - not spending too long in any one star field.
(Admittedly, during the actual STORM my method was a lot looser!)

Naturally, November and June are quite different for Sporadics.
But checking my notes from the 01 LEOs, I note that my Sporadic
rates during those nights averaged about 24 per hour. (And at the
time, I had been doing regular Teff, so I could call myself an
"experienced observer". Now, sadly, it is a different story...)

However, that average of 24 SPO / hour had a fairly wide Standard
Deviation - sample size was about 18 hours Teff, and the variance
was about 10. The actual reports are archived at IMO, and on:
  http://www.meteorobs.org/maillist/maillist-11-2001.html

BTW, I have read through the posts on 'meteorobs' on this subject
so far: it seems that there may be some questions being posed on
another medium (private email?) that are being answered here. So
forgive me if I have "come into the middle of a conversation". :)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer (GRALE)

Follow-Ups: References: