[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) JBO observation at Xinglong, China (ZHUJI, June 28/29)

I'm sorry, but I still find it hard to believe. I'm certain that the surface
brightness of the sky when LM is about +1 is much, much higher than even the
brightest parts of the Milky Way. I have observed (casually) during twilight on
countless occasion in rural areas, mountaintops, suburbs... and not even on the
clearest of nights at the best and highest locations have I ever seen anything
like what you describe.

Are you sure only those stars were visible? Or were they perhaps obvious and
fainter stars still visible? Perhaps people with much experience under pristine
skies could share their experience with Milky way visibility vs. LM? Norman
McLeod? John Bortle? Robert Lunsford? Anyone else?

By the way, I've noticed that beginner observers usually underestimate LM very
significantly. There have been occasions when I saw LM6.8 and a beginner
observing only a couple of meters away from me counted LM5.3 or so. Usually LM
drops quickly as the observer gains experience. I'm not saying you're
unexperienced, but this may have something to do with the way you count the
stars?

Clear skies!
Jure A.

P.S. - if the Milky way was visible under LM1.0 I'd imagine people would often
report it visible during solar eclipses?

http://www.emaildot si/