[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re-Double meteor

In a message dated 7/2/03 7:57:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ksyo@bellsouthdot net writes:

>>OK, lets say (theoretically)  that a dust-sized particle enters the atmosphere at  11 km/s or faster.  The atmosphere does not superheat, only the particle.  Would the "flame" be visible at dozens of miles/kilometers away?? <<

Probably... I don't see why not? The atoms of the particle would ionize without the air atoms ionizing. The stored energy of the incoming particle is gonna express it in some manner. If the energy from the particles velocity isn't absorbed by the air molecules and become ionized, I guess maybe the particle will give off a more brilliant light?
George Zay