[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Problems...

Karl -

> - the second one is that during my 2 years break, I got the surprise to
> get a pair of glasses, for astigmatism and short-sighting... Have I
> better keeping them while observing, even if my field of view will be
> restricted, or must I throw them away, even if my lm might be not as
> high as before ? The correction is not very very important, ( it must be
> 6/10 and 8/10, or something like that ).

Couple comments.  I have been stuck with glasses forever, and also have
astigmatism.

With regard to a restricted field of view, this can be helped quite a bit by
staying away from the small lenses that are rather fashionable right now.
Keep those for daytime!  For night-time, get yourself a pair of glasses with
larger lenses.  That will help your field of view quite a lot.

Personally, I believe in getting as good a correction in eyesight as
possible.  So even if the correction seems minimal by daytime standards, it
becomes much more critical when looking at point sources at night.

I have not used contact lenses as I am a bit squeamish about putting things
in my eyes - and they can be affected more by dry conditions or dust - and
in many cases they are more expensive.  However, some observers use them all
the time - such as Pierre Martin - and he has excellent results with them.
Perhaps Pierre will offer some comments here... I don't know if he has any
astigmatism.  Even so... he always travels with glasses as backup.

With glasses one also has to be cautious about fogging in the summer, and
frosting up in the winter, if you breathe on them, or if your breath is
deflected upwards towards your glasses in any way.  You just have to be
careful.

Just some comments... hope that helps!

Clear skies,
- Cathy Hall