[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fire Ball over the Gila

>At any rate above or below it leaves me with a question for you scientific types.  This is the second >one in 37 days traveling in about the same general path as the one on June 8th.  Is this common?  If it >is then Jill and I have been missing out a LOT in our 59 years each on this planet.  I think if I saw one >more on the same path I would have to say , hmmmmm this is starting to get really weird.

Nev

I'm not sure of the circumstances of your observation.  Were you just (a) casually looking up or (b) were you actively observing meteors (i.e. lying in a beach chair looking up at the sky for more than an hour)?
Now, I'm not a scientific type, but if you answered (a) consider yourself very fortunate.  If (b) your chances for seeing a fireball increase greatly.  But to see see two truely spectacular fireballs in just over one month (not counting major shower nights) is like hitting the jackpot..I'd say you were dealt a very good hand by lady luck.

Kim Youmans

I don't know if this helps, but that fire ball also had a very long tail.  Now what was a bit odd, at least to me, was that it looked as if the fire around the ball was sort of being cast off.  Like pieces of fire moving away from the ball itself.  Actually that really added to just how sepectaular it looked.  There is really no way for us to know exactly if it was above or below, IF YOU conclude that you can see it through the clouds.  In addition to the clouds there is also a considerable amount of forest fire smoke here.  Now I know that most of you think we are just mistaken about it being below those clouds.  But it you could have seen it with the clarity we did, and the low 'looking appearance' you would swear on a stack of bibles that that fire ball was below those clouds.

At any rate above or below it leaves me with a question for you scientific types.  This is the second one in 37 days traveling in about the same general path as the one on June 8th.  Is this common?  If it is then Jill and I have been missing out a LOT in our 59 years each on this planet.  I think if I saw one more on the same path I would have to say , hmmmmm this is starting to get really weird.

Nev

Follow-Ups: References: