[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fire Ball over the Gila

Hi Nev and all,
    I can second Kim's belief that two such events so close together are
very rare indeed.  In my almost thirty years (and countless hundreds of
hours) of serious observing, I have had only three fireball events that even
remotely approach yours.  Oddly enough, two of the three were in my first
year of observing (1974).  The second of those two events even closely
resembled the conditions you describe for your sightings.  Recalling what I
saw that year brings to mind a few thoughts and comments I wanted to share
with you.  I saw this fireball on the evening of 16/17 Nov 1974 (right about
midnight) and it was an Earth-grazing Leonid about -6 in magnitude.  I saw
it through thick, pea-soup Florida ground fog that created an effect I have
never seen repeated by any clear sky fireball event.  The fog created
virtual "overcast" conditions as no stars were visible at the moment of the
event.  It covered almost the entire sky in a skipping motion.  Each flare
of brightness lit up the fog and created an appearance that made me want to
duck.  It seemed like the fireball was about ten feet over my head!  The
fact that no stars were visible for reference, made the fireball seem so
much lower and closer than it actually was.  I've never seen a clear sky
fireball look like that.  Since I was a new, inexperienced observer at the
time, my emotional reaction was probably far greater than it would have been
with several years of observing under my belt.  But it sure was awesome, as
I'm sure yours were, too.  Hopefully, these events will peak your continued
interest in meteor observing and many more enjoyable memories under the
stars.

Regards, Paul in Florida