[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FW: It's that time of year again...

There has been another flurry of fireball reports in the press
[typical for this time of year]:

---------------- Forward Messages ------------------

Object Seen In Northeastern Minnesota Was Probably Meteor
Associated Press
July 18, 2003

http://www.kare11.com/news/news-article.asp?NEWS_ID=49629

St. Louis County authorities say that fiery object
in the sky was probably a meteor.

Some residents in the northern part of the county
reported a large, fiery object moving fast across
the sky.

After the object passed, a loud noise was heard.

Sheriff's officials say they contacted officials
at Duluth International Airport, who said all
planes were accounted for.

Deputies concluded the object was most likely a meteor
entering the Earth's atmosphere, and the loud noise
was a sonic boom.

[meteorite-list] Fiery Object Seen In Minnesota
Adam Hupe adamhupe@comcastdot net
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:31:58 -0700

We are on our way!

Mystery boom rattles Greece neighborhoods
Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, New York)
July 14, 2003

http://wwwdot democratandchronicle.com/news/0714MH16LFJ_boom14_news.shtml

A loud sound shook houses in town Sunday morning and sent
some residents scurrying into the street.

However, area fire departments reported that there was
nothing wrong on the ground.

Several area residents in the Ridgewood Road and Benjamin Avenue
area said they heard a house-rocking sound about 10:47 a.m. Sunday.

Calls to two area firehouses turned up no known source
of the noise; no fire calls were received at North Greece
fire stations No. 1 and No. 2.

One fire department member speculated that the noise
was a sonic boom --
which can be generated when a plane travels faster than the
speed of sound (about 742 mph at sea-level) --
and could have been created by a jet either from the U.S.
or Canadian air forces.

No one was available for comment from either agency on Sunday.

The U.S. Coast Guard in Rochester had no information about
the source of the noise.

Neither did the air traffic control supervisor at the Greater
Rochester International Airport.

Carrie Ringland, a member of the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group
in Geneseo, Livingston County, said the noise was not from a jet
involved with Sunday's annual air show.

"We had no jets go by this morning,'' she said. "We had one
scheduled to fly over at 1 o'clock,'' Ringland said.

[meteorite-list] Elma, Washington Field Report Part 1
Adam Hupe adamhupe@comcastdot net
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:36:34 -0700

Elma "Meteorite" Field Update Part 1.

We thought List members might be interested in a report
from the field concerning the Elma incident.

http://www.pairlistdot net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2003-July/025433.html

[meteorite-list] Elma, Washington Field Report Part 2
Adam Hupe adamhupe@comcastdot net
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:41:15 -0700

Elma "Meteorite" Field Update Part 2.

http://www.pairlistdot net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2003-July/025435.html