[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Fireballs

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Lunsford
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: Fireballs

Susan and All,

One can certainly increase their odds of seeing a fireball by viewing on nights when a major shower is near peak intensity. These nights are generally Jan 3-4, Apr 22, July 28-30, Aug 12-13, Oct 21-23, Nov 17-19, and Dec 13-15. I have seen a majority of my one hundred plus fireballs during the AM hours on these dates.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford
Bob:
    I wish they would change the definition for "Fireballs".  Just saying that a -4.0 magnitude meteor or brighter is a fireball is misleading.  Meteor shower fireballs should be in one category and meteorite dropping types should be in another category.  Too bad it would be so difficult to come up with an appropriate term for each but I guess to the general public they can look pretty much the same.
Regards:
Ed

Follow-Ups: References: