[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Fireballs

Ed Majden wrote:

>I wish they would change the definition for "Fireballs".
>Just saying that a -4.0 magnitude meteor or brighter is
>a fireball is misleading.

Even more misleading, Ed, that -4 cutoff for "fireballs"
is not even universally recognized! I was trained to call
anything that was mag -3 or brighter a fireball...

I sure agree - and we've talked about it on this forum in
the past - that there is some pretty loose nomenclature in
use, when people talk about meteorites and bright meteors.

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer