From: Bruce McCurdy
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 4:28 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: Fireballs

Bob Lunsford wrote:

> One can certainly increase their odds of seeing a fireball by viewing on nights when a major shower is near peak intensity. These nights are generally Jan 3-4, Apr 22, July 28-30, Aug 12-13, Oct 21-23, Nov 17-19, and Dec 13-15. I have seen a majority of my one hundred plus fireballs during the AM hours on these dates.

    I don't doubt your word for a second, Bob, but I wonder how much your sample is skewed by the fact that you are much more likely to be out on those dates? I know you in particular do a lot of meteor observing throughout the calendar, but surely your percentage of Teff is disproportionately high on those dates. That said, a "majority" of fireballs on a handful of dates is clear evidence that they are shower-related, but would you have an actual number or an educated guess as to what percentage of your personal fireballs were sporadic?

    Thanks. regards, Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: