[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteorite/Fireball Occurences?

----- Original Message -----
From: <YoungBob2@aol.com>

> In a message dated 7/24/2003 8:42:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl writes:
>
> > If anybody can explain this two-month lag, I am very interested (I have
> >  never quite believed the "more people out in the summer season"
argument to
> >  be of prime influence.
>
> Hi, Marco:
>
> 1) What percentage of meteorites are in retrograde?

Hi Bob,

There is only a handfull of photographic meteorite orbits available to judge
from, plus a few from
visual observations. None of these is retrograde. This also is true for some
40 fireballs from the Canadian MORP network analysed by Halliday et al., for
which they think a meteorite dropping is likely. In fact, for objects of
asteroidal origin, such as meteorites, retrograde orbits are indeed
unlikely. Retrograde is something for cometary objects.

> 2) What effect might the Moon's slightly tilted orbit have?

I don't thinks this is a factor at all in the meteorite influx (and
certainly not their orbit distributions, except the very rare lunar
meteorites of course!).

- Marco