[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Notes: August 2003

**************************
NAMN Notes:  August 2003
**************************

Introduction:
NAMN Notes is a monthly newsletter produced by the North American Meteor
Network, and is available both via email, and on the NAMN website at:
http://www.namnmeteors.org

Contents:

1.  August 2003 - My 60th Issue!... by C.L. Hall
2.  Perseids, the 'Shower of the Summer'...
3.  The Aquarid Complex in August...
4.  Lots of Other August Activity...
5.  Upcoming Meetings...
6.  For more info...

1.  August 2003 - My 60th Issue!... by C.L. Hall

Welcome to the 60th issue of NAMN Notes!  By this, I am referring to the
60th issue since I started writing for NAMN Notes in September of 1998.
There were 3 very short informal email issues prior to this date, but
these were not in the same format that readers currently enjoy.  As this is
a special issue this month, I thought I would write an article on how this
Canadian lady came to be associated with NAMN - and with NAMN Notes!
Grab a coffee as this is a bit long... but I think you will find it
interesting!

My meteor roots go back a long way.  I saw my first meteor in 1964, in a
little town called Alliston, Ontario - and got hooked on this fascinating
study of 'shooting stars'.  That was almost 40 years ago.  I started young.
For a number of years, I watched for any moving objects in the sky -
meteors, satellites, weather balloons.  I plotted everything - and even as a
kid, started recording date, time, identity of each object, its brightness,
and other characteristics, and also notes on sky conditions and weather.

When our family moved to Ottawa, I continued my solo observations.  In
high school, several students formed a small astronomy club - and I joined.
I helped them grind a telescope mirror, and on selected nights we went out
as a school group to an observing site used by the Ottawa Center of the
RASC, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.  I joined up with that
group, and started organized meteor observing with their meteor team.
I observed with the Ottawa team until the end of the 1970's.

In my spare time in the early 1970's, I edited (and wrote much of) a
guide to beginning astronomy - the 'Beginners' Package'.  I was Chairman
of the Observers Group (the youngest ever, and the first female), and also
spent time as Recorder for the center.  By the time I went off to
university, I was Vice-President.  I organized special events for
International Astronomy Day - and was the first person in the center to take
astronomy to the shopping malls, to help spread the word about astronomy to
the general public.  To help out newcomers, I organized a series of special
Beginners' Meetings.

My university years were filled with statistics, poetry and geology courses.
I also wrote poetry in my spare time.  I got hooked on comets in the 1970's,
and used a telescope all by myself for the first time - the 16" Newtonian of
the Ottawa Center.  I was the first lady to get a key to the observatory.  A
good friend of mine, Rolf Meier, taught me everything I know about
telescopic observing, and went on to discover a number of comets.  My
favorite comet to date was Comet West in the spring of 1976.  I observed and
photographed it for 11 mornings in a row, after climbing onto the residence
rooftop at the University of Victoria, British Columbia - overlooking the
Pacific Ocean and the dormant volcano, Mt. Baker.  It was awesome.

It was in 1973 that I made contact with my first meteor observer from
another country - Norman McLeod.  I was 19.  He was 27.  Rolf Meier had lent
me one of his telescopes, and I had taken a ship to Africa to view the total
solar eclipse.  I met Norman in a stairwell as I was dashing down to my room
to change into formal attire for dinner.  We started a meteor correspondence
that lasted for decades.  Letters.  Real letters.  Back and forth by snail
mail.  I heard about the publication 'Meteor News' down in Florida and
subscribed.

Skip the 1980's when I was married, and living in Richmond Hill, north of
Toronto, Canada.  I did no meteors.  I did associate briefly with the
Toronto Center of the RASC, and volunteered my time as one of their
Councillors.  I got some comets in, but most of that decade was spent out on
the rifle range with my husband.  I represented Canada internationally at
Bisley, England, in the sport of high power target rifle shooting.  I looked
at a lot of point sources in the distance - but they were targets at 1000
yards, not stars.  I took on the position of Secretary Treasurer of the
Winona Rifle Club in southern Ontario.  I kept my writing skills up by
becoming editor of the Ontario Rifle Association's provincial newsletter.

In the late 1980's, I got back into astronomy.  I rejoined the Ottawa RASC,
but it was too far to travel to meetings.  Instead, I started driving west
to the meetings of the Hamilton Center.  I helped Hamilton out by becoming
their Treasurer - and wrote a series of articles on comets for their
newsletter.  I became the National Librarian for the Royal Astronomical
Society of Canada - and did the first inventory of the library in many
years.  I also started a national promotional item campaign for the RASC.

In 1991, I bought myself my very own telescope.  I got it for comets, and
for future telescopic meteors.  I do enjoy deep sky observing also - it's
very useful in showing me more of what is not a comet!  My scope is an
AstroPhysics 4.7" f8.5 refractor, and I am pleased with it.  In 1992, me and
my telescope moved back on our own to Ottawa.

For a brief time, I represented Ottawa on the RASC National Council.
I then joined the Kingston Center of the RASC, about a 2 hour drive south of
Ottawa, and became active with them.  I was their Astronomy Day Coordinator,
and also their National Council Representative.  Unfortunately, the
politics in the early 1990's turned rather nasty.  I set some precedents in
the Society - and organizations resent change, and love scapegoats.  I left
the RASC behind, and I try not to look back.  They have lost more than they
know.  I now devote my time and effort to the meteor community.

I heard of NAMN through a friend of mine in the mid-1990's.  He built me a
computer, and I joined the email age.  That was probably the most important
thing that got me into NAMN.  Internet access.  Without it, I would never
have met all the wonderful meteor observers around the globe.

Mark Davis and I started an email correspondence back and forth about August
of 1996, talking about NAMN and meteors - but also about work, and
activities and families and life and stuff.  I found him an interesting
person to write to.  Over the years, I've had a number of 'penpals'.  I
corresponded for many years with a girl in Japan.  I wrote back and forth
for several years to a friend in Uruguay - before I found out that it was a
guy - and not a girl - that I was writing to!  Rather embarrassing.  But
hey, got some great newspaper clippings on comets visible in Uruguay!
Anyway, Mark Davis and I started out as meteor penpals - and our
correspondence has developed into a great working relationship for NAMN.

I met Mark in person in July of 1998 - at the east coast NAMN get-together
in West Virginia.  I also met Lew Gramer and Wayne Hally for the first time.
Actually, this has been the only time that Mark Davis and I have actually
gotten together in person!  Over the past handful of years I have met a good
number of both east and west coast observers, and a number of the European
crew as well.  Interaction is great for exchange of ideas.

Anyway, I came 'on board' with NAMN Notes in September of 1998 - and this is
my 60th issue.  Mark and I decided long ago that I would concentrate on the
writing, as that is where my expertise is - and he would concentrate on the
coordination of NAMN, and the archiving of the hundreds of reports that come
in.  I am not good at archiving!  So, since the beginning, this is the
pattern that we have followed.  I write, and he edits my articles for any
details I might have missed.  He asked about a year and a half ago if I
would prefer to have just my name on this newsletter.  I said no.  We are a
team effort at NAMN.  However... now that I have just hit my 50th birthday,
I guess maybe the time for being shy and keeping a low profile is over!  So,
you will notice a slight change in the credits at the end of the newsletter
this month...

NAMN Notes is one of the most visible services that we at NAMN provide - but
there is an incredible amount of work that goes on behind the scenes.  Mark
Davis spends many hours archiving reports from around the globe, forwarding
data on to the International Meteor Organization, answering queries,
maintaining the website, and also maintaining correspondence with those
meteor observers not on the net.  Lew Gramer handles outreach activities,
gives talks on meteors on behalf of NAMN, and handles all of our computer
issues - not a small task!  He also maintains the MeteorObs list service and
archive that are used by amateur and professional meteor observers around
the globe.  Kevin Kilkenny handles the hundreds of fireball reports that we
get in over the course of the year, and answers meteorite queries.  There is
also another person who helps out informally behind the scenes with NAMN,
and should be thanked for his work - and that is Wayne Hally.  Wayne
provides training for observers, and gives many talks on meteors and NAMN
over the year.

So... welcome to the 60th!  NAMN Notes is the 'tip of the iceberg' as the
expression goes.  It is a great means of getting information to the meteor
community - but it is only a part of the total effort that goes into NAMN,
the North American Meteor Network.  I hope our readers continue to find NAMN
Notes informative, and useful.  We welcome suggestions, and may also try
some new things in our format over this next year...

Thanks for your support!

2.  Perseids, the 'Shower of the Summer'...

August means Perseids!  The Perseid meteor shower is perhaps the best known
meteor shower to both serious observers and the general populace alike.
Every year we await its arrival, its distinctive meteors, and the nice warm
nights of summer.

This famous shower has been observed for about 2000 years, with the first
known information on these meteors coming from the far east.  In early
Europe, the Perseids came to be known as the 'tears of St. Lawrence'.  There
is a wonderful article by Mark Littmann called 'The Discovery of the Perseid
Meteors' on the Sky and Telescope website at http://skyandtelescope.com.
Littmann writes:

" Saint Lawrence was tortured and killed in Rome on August 10, 258 during
the reign of the anti-Christian emperor Valerian...  Citing Quetelet, 'a
superstition has 'for ages' existed among the Catholics of some parts of
England and Germany that the burning tears of St. Lawrence are seen in the
sky on the night of the 10th of August; this day being the anniversary of
his martyrdom.' "

Legends abound about Perseus.  In ancient Greek mythology, he was a hero -
the son of Zeus.  On one quest, he took off to slay the famed Medusa, a
beautiful mortal lady who had been unceremoniously turned into a fearsome
Gorgon by the jealous goddess Athena.  Medusa's beautiful hair became a
squirming mass of snakes - and her gaze deadly.  Perseus travelled with the
help of winged sandals from Hermes, the messenger god; a sword of diamond
from Hephaestus, the god of fire and the forge; and a magical helmet to make
him invisible, from Hades, god of the underworld.  He slew Medusa without
looking at her by using her reflection in his shield.  The blood of Medusa
fell to earth and created the great winged horse Pegasus.

On his way home, he rescued the princess Andromeda, daughter of King
Cepheus, who was chained to a rock as a sacrifice to the sea monster Cetus
because of the vainful boasting of her mother, Queen Cassiopeia.  Perseus
rescued the fair maiden and married her.  And now, in our constellations, we
have all the players in the legend!  Take a look at your sky.  We have
Perseus, Pegasus, Andromeda, Cepheus, Cassiopeia, and Cetus - and even the
infamous Medusa, immortalized as the 'Demon Star' in the constellation of
Perseus.

The parent comet of the Perseid meteors, 109/P Swift-Tuttle, was discovered
in July of 1862 by both Lewis Swift of Marathon, New York and Horace Tuttle
of Harvard Observatory, Massachusetts.  It was about magnitude 7.5 at
discovery and brightened to about magnitude 2 by early September, which is
about the same brightness as the stars in the Big Dipper.  It sported a tail
of between 25 and 30 degrees long, and was quite impressive.  By length
comparison, the pointer stars of the Big Dipper are about 5 degrees apart.
The comet comes around to our part of the solar system about every 120 years
and was seen most recently in the mid 1990's.  In November of 1992, it
brightened to about magnitude 5.0.

Because the orbit of the Perseid meteoroid particles is tilted so much in
relation to the plane of our own solar system, the Perseids have stayed
fairly similar in characteristics since ancient times, and have not been
changed much by the influence of our large planets such as Jupiter.  It was
Schiaparelli, the astronomer most noted for observing the so-called 'canali'
on Mars, who discovered that the Perseid meteors were related to Comet 1862
III, also known as 109/P Swift-Tuttle.  This was the first proven
association between a comet and a meteor shower.

The magnitude or brightness of the meteors themselves is interesting as
well.  Studies by Hruska and Ceplecha in the 1950's indicated that the
Perseids generally seem to be brighter before the date of maximum activity
than afterwards, but that some periods of brighter or fainter meteors do
occur.  This tends to indicate some filamentary structure in the Perseid
meteoroid stream.  In other words, we encounter clumps of brighter or
fainter meteors as the earth passes through different layers of long-ago
debris shed by Comet Swift-Tuttle.

The Perseids (PER) can be seen from about July 17th until about August 24th,
with the main peak time occurring on the 13th of August at 4h 40m UT.  UT
refers to Universal Time, and is the time over in Greenwich, England, so
calculate your local time accordingly.  For observers on the east coast of
North America, this means that it occurs on the night of the 12/13th, at 40
minutes past midnight.  These are fast meteors, at about 59 km per second.

ZHR rates at maximum reach about 110 meteors per hour.  What is ZHR?  It
stands for Zenithal Hourly Rate, and is the number of meteors that an
observer would expect to see, on the average, if they are out under a dark
country sky, and if the radiant, the area in the sky where the meteors seem
to come from, is directly overhead.

Will we see this number of meteors for this Perseid display?  Look at your
calendar.  The full moon in August occurs on the 12th, at 4h 48m UT.  This
will wash out the fainter meteors.  However - the good news is that the
Perseids are noted for lots of bright meteors - and these will still be
visible, even for the general public.

How can you see more meteors, in spite of the full moon this year?  It is
still worthwhile getting away from city lights.  City lights are often so
bright they will wash out many of the meteors that you could see from the
country, even with a full moon.  Face away from the moon when observing -
put it behind you, or at the very least, to your side.  Do not stare at it,
or it will destroy whatever dark adaption you have.  Or - try blocking the
moon - with a tree, or even a dark umbrella that you reposition during the
night.  Every little bit of decreased light or glare will increase your
meteor perception.

On the topic of perception, the Perseids are probably the best shower of the
year to try photographing.  It's warm, and the number of bright meteors is
high.  Use a camera with a time exposure, and a normal lens (not a
telephoto).  Set the lens wide open (or perhaps 1 stop down), and set the
focus on infinity.  Put it on a tripod, and use a cable release to keep the
lens open.  You won't want fast film - or it will 'fog' over quickly with
the bright moon.  Use a slower film, and keep your exposures fairly short -
you might try 5 minute shots, for example.  It is always wise to take a
variety of exposures, as some will turn out better than others.

A map showing the radiant of the Perseid shower, and its movement across the
sky throughout the month, can be found on the website of the IMO, the
International Meteor Organization, at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal02.html#Perseids

Is there just one peak time?  No.  The predicted times of increased Perseid
activity are as follows, according to the IMO's 2003 Meteor Shower Calendar:
Aug 13      4h 40m UT  - the main peak
Aug 13  ~  2h 40m UT  - possible maxima
Aug 13  ~ 14h 40m UT - possible maxima
For observers in eastern North America, these times translate to:
Aug 13       0h 40m EDT
Aug 12  ~ 10h 40m EDT
Aug 13  ~ 10h 40m EDT

If you would like to contribute to our knowledge of meteor showers, and take
detailed notes on this shower, our NAMN Observing Guide gives details
on what you should record.  It's fairly basic....data for each meteor, such
as time, magnitude, shower affiliation, speed, and other comments such as
train or color.  General information to record includes such things as how
dark your perceived sky is (limiting magnitude), and comments on weather and
cloud cover.  Interested?  Take a look at our NAMN Observing Guide at
http://www.namnmeteors.org/guide.html.  Forms for recording what you see can
be found at http://www.namnmeteors.org/namn_form.html  and
http://www.namnmeteors.org/appendixC.html

The Perseids are the meteor highlight of the summer - moon or no moon.  Find
a country site, take some friends, and enjoy this wonder of the summer night
sky!

3.  The Aquarid Complex in August...

August is prime time for summer meteor showers.  Many observers are on
vacation, out in the country, or at cottages.  In spite of the ever-present
mosquitoes, it is a great time of year for observing.

Besides the well-known Perseids, we have a lot of other showers accessible
to visual observers.  The Aquarid complex is quite active, and gives the
observer 4 different radiants to keep track of.  We would recommend you
print yourself off a set of our 4 NAMN star charts at
http://www.namnmeteors.org/charts.html and use these to mark your meteor
radiants on.  Set your printer to landscape mode.  These charts also provide
a series of 'standard' stars with magnitudes marked, to use in judging the
brightness of the meteors you see.

The south delta Aquarids (SDA), although having reached a peak on July 28,
can be seen until about August 19th.  The south iota Aquarids (SIA) reach a
peak on August 4th, and can be seen until about the 15th.  The north delta
Aquarids (NDA) reach a peak on August 9th, but run until about the 25th.
Lastly, the north iota Aquarids (NIA) run from about August 11th to 31st,
reaching a peak on August 20th.

What is the easiest way to keep these 4 Aquarid showers straight?  Here's a
summary for you:
SDA  south delta   max on July 28  velocity of 41 km/sec
NDA north delta   max on Aug 9    velocity of 42 km/sec
SIA   south iota    max on Aug 4     velocity of 34 km/sec
NIA  north iota     max on Aug 20   velocity of 31 km/sec
You will notice that these are all average velocity meteors - but that the
iota Aquarids are a bit slower.

The IMO, International Meteor Organization, states that "the Northern
iota-Aquarids showed an ill-defined maximum between sol = 148-151 degrees in
1988-1995 results, which could mean the highest rates (even so, very weak)
happen several days after the suspected peak time."

A map showing the positions of these 4 radiants over the month of August can
be found on the IMO website at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#Aquarids  On any given night that
you are headed out observing, use your NAMN charts, and mark an 'X' on your
map for each radiant.  You will find that these 4 radiants form a rough
parallelogram shape in the sky, and this helps to keep track of them.

ZHR rates at maximum for the Aquarids are as follows:
SDA  on July 28   20 meteors/hour
NDA  on Aug  9     4 meteors/hour
SIA    on Aug  4     2 meteors/hour
NIA   on Aug 20    3 meteors/hour
where ZHR refers to Zenithal Hourly Rate, for dark skies and the radiant
directly overhead.  Rates away from the date of maximum will be much lower.

If you would like to try plotting meteors - and summer is a good time to
learn this skill - then drop a note to Robert Lunsford of the IMO at
secretary@imodot net for details on obtaining a set of the IMO plotting maps we
use.  There is a nominal cost for photocopying and mailing.  These maps use
a special projection of the sky, such that meteors can be plotted as
straight lines.

4.  Lots of Other August Activity...

The Pisces Austrinids (PAU) reached a maximum on July 28, but some can still
be seen until about August 10th.  These are average velocity meteors, at
about 35 km per second.  According to the IMO, the International Meteor
Organization, this is a shower "rich in faint meteors, making them
well-suited to telescopic work, although enough brighter members exist to
make visual and photographic observations worth the effort too."  A map
showing the position of the radiant can be found at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#Aquarids  The ZHR rates at maximum
were about 5 meteors per hour, but rates in August will be lower.

The alpha Capricornids (CAP) have also peaked, on July 30th, but members of
this shower can be seen until about August 15th.  Their velocity is about 23
km per second.  ZHR rates at maximum are about 4 meteors per hour, with
lower rates in August.  However, these are wonderful meteors - nice and
slow - and a real delight to see.  They are worth waiting for.  A map
showing the position of the radiant as it moves across the sky can be found
at http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#Aquarids  This shower can provide
some good fireballs!  According to the IMO, "a minor enhancement of
alpha-Capricornid ZHR's to ~10 was noted in 1995 by European IMO observers,
although the Southern delta-Aquarids were the only one of these streams
previously suspected of occasional variability."

The kappa Cygnids (KCG) reach a peak on August 18th, and can be seen most of
August, from the 3rd to 25th.  These are also slow meteors, with a velocity
of about 25 km per second.  ZHR rates at maximum are about 3 meteors per
hour.  A map showing the radiant can be found at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal01.html#kappa-Cygnids

Lastly, the alpha Aurigids (AUR), although not reaching a maximum until
September 1st at 12h UT, can be seen starting about August 25th.  These are
fast meteors, with a velocity of about 66 km per second.  ZHR rates on the
1st will be about 7 meteors per hour.  The IMO states that observers are
really needed for this shower!  Outbursts occurred in 1935, 1986 and 1994.
Please monitor this shower from August 25th onwards.  A map showing the
radiant position can be found at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#alpha-Aurigids

Note that radiant positions for all showers can be found also in the IMO's
2003 Meteor Shower Calendar, in Table 6, at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#Table6

Are there any other meteor showers visible in August ?  Yes.  The showers we
list here are the ones on the 2003 'Working List of Visual Meteor Showers'
of the IMO, the International Meteor Organization.  There are many other
minor showers that can be studied by more experienced observers, or
telescopic meteor observers, or radio meteor observers.  Details on many of
these can be found on Gary Kronk's 'Comets and Meteor Showers' website at
http://comets.amsmeteors.org

Besides recognized main showers, and other minor showers, there is also
sporadic meteor activity in August.  This sporadic activity is about 7
meteors per hour, visible to the unaided eye.  This activity is comprised
partly of random meteors and partly of meteors that belong to long-ago, now
untraceable showers.

This month, the phases of the moon are as follows:
Tues. Aug. 05    first quarter
Tues. Aug. 12    full moon
Wed. Aug. 20    last quarter
Wed. Aug. 27    new moon

Planets at midmonth, and their magnitudes, for northern observers, are:
Mars        -2.6  in Aquarius
Saturn        0.2  in Gemini
Note how bright Mars is this month!  On August 27th, Mars will reach its
closest approach to earth in approximately 100,000 years.  This is an
incredible opportunity for observers to take a look at this planet, and to
see good detail in even modest amateur telescopes.  On August 27th at 9:52
UT, Mars and the earth will be only 55,758,006 km apart.  Mars will not be
closer to the earth until August 28, 2287.  This means, for observers, that
Mars will look much larger in apparent diameter - and that details on the
planet will be much easier to see!  So, take time out from your meteors this
month to 'Mar' your vision with this wonderful red planet!

A very useful website for summer observers is 'Heavens Above', found at
http://www.heavens-above.com   Just 'Select' your location, then go from
there.  A 'Whole Sky Chart' can be printed off, useful for beginners.  This
map will show the location of the planets on a given night and at the time
you choose.  For printing off a copy, pick the 'black stars on white
background' option.  You can also check out the identity of the satellites
you see while observing - just note their time and path, and check their
identity after your observing session.

There is lots to see in the summer sky this August - the Perseids, lots of
other shower activity, lots of satellites - and Mars.  Get out there and
observe!

5. Upcoming Meetings...

August 10-14, Washington State, USA...
The Cometary Dust in Astrophysics conference will be held at Crystal
Mountain, in Washington State, USA.  The purpose of the meeting will be the
integration of astrophysical observations of comets and cosmic dust with
laboratory analyses of interplanetary dust, stardust, and meteorites.  For
more information, check out http://stardust.wustldot edu/CDA.html  or contact
Donald Brownlee at brownlee@bluemoon.astro.washingtondot edu

August 28-30, California, USA...
The 2003 Leonid MAC Workshop will be held at the NASA Ames Research Center,
at Moffett Field, California, USA.  The workshop will discuss the ongoing
data reduction and modelling efforts following the 2002 aircraft campaign.
Topics will include meteor stream models, composition and morphology of
cometary dust, physical processes in meteors, exogenous delivery of organics
at origin of life, effect of meteors on the upper atmosphere, and the
satellite impact hazard.  For more information, check out
http://leonid.arc.nasadot gov/workshop or contact Peter Jenniskens at
pjenniskens@mail.arc.nasadot gov.  Registration is available online - note that
due to security concerns, onsite registration will be available to US
citizens only.

September 18-21, Bollmannsruh, Germany...
The IMC, International Meteor Conference, of the IMO, the International
Meteor Organization, will be held in Bollmannsruh, Germany.  This is the
annual world meeting for amateur meteor observers and professionals alike!
The location of the conference is a hostel near the town of Brandenburg,
about 40 km west of Berlin.  It is situated in a rural area by a lake, and
facilities include accommodation in bungalows, a cafe and bar, a lecture
hall, an open air stage, and a place for a campfire and barbecue.  The
special excursion during the conference will be to Berlin to the Museum for
Natural History, for a lecture on meteorites and viewing of the meteorite
collection.  For more information, check out
http://aipsoe.aipdot de/~rend/2003imc.html and http://www.imodot net/news/imc.html
or contact Ina Rendtel at treasurer@imodot net.  IMC 2003 marks the 15th
anniversary of the IMO - so meteor observers from around the globe are all
invited for this special event!

For more information on upcoming astronomy meetings, see: "International
Astronomy Meetings List" at http://cadcwww.hia.nrcdot ca/meetings

6.  For more info...

NAMN email: namn@atmob.org
NAMN website: http://www.namnmeteors.org

Mark Davis, meteors@comcastdot net
Goose Creek, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network

Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Metcalfe, Ontario, Canada
Writer, NAMN Notes

Lew Gramer, dedalus@alum.mitdot edu
Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Coordinator, Public Outreach
Owner/Moderator, 'MeteorObs'

Kevin Kilkenny, namnfireball@earthlinkdot net
Staten Island, New York, USA
Coordinator, Fireballs and Meteorites

Back issues of NAMN Notes can be found online at the NAMN website and in
the MeteorObs archives at:
http://www.meteorobs.org by selecting 'Browse Archive by Month'

To subscribe to the meteor email list:
Contact Lew Gramer at: dedalus@alum.mitdot edu

Here's to 'Clear Skies' for August...

August 2003 NAMN Notes
written by Cathy Hall & edited by Mark Davis