[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Vitim event, the airplane crash and more

Dear Marco and All,

Regarding the airplane (AN-2) crash, Chernobrov said that they failed to
find any evidences that it was somehow related with the Vitim event.

Also , please, keep in mind that the region of Siberia is very rich in
various (ore, etc.)
deposits, so "you can find what you want".  I just mention (from
Chernobrov's words), that initially the expedition had serious (very
dangerous, in reality) problems with local gold-diggers (I guess that not
all of them are legal), as diggers had suspected that the expedition came
"for gold". But later their attitude have changed, and they even hired an
expensive helicopter for the expedition...
I think that the adventures are no less interesting that the Vitim event
itself.

Interestingly, that Kulik searching "Tunguska meteorite" in 1920s was in
similar situation with the "gold".
And one more interesting parallel.  I think that unless the mass-media
promoted Kosmopoisk's expedition, it was very unlikely that now 4
expeditions are in the area, as it is much easy to get money for something
already promoted/popular.  And recently deceased Kosmopoisk's Chairman of
Emeritus - Alexandr Kazantsev was the first who stated in 1945 that the
"Tunguska meteorite" did not fall on the ground, but exploded in the air,
and therefore
it was an alien spaceship.  At once top Soviet meteorite-experts began to
critisize this, stating, that "all scientific evidences point that Tunguska
meteorite fell and sank in a swamp and the resulting crater quickly
disappeared".  But Kazantsev "heresy" promoted by mass-media led to a raise
of
interest to almost forgotten "Tunguska meteorite", and led to a number of
expeditions, which discovered that no  "Tunguska meteorite" sank in
the swamp ...

So I propose to wait some days-weeks for developments of  the interesting
story. I will try to post any news on the event. And those who have access
(or money to order/buy) for satellite pictures, could conduct their own
research right now checking the "Vitim bolide" forest-fall appearence
date/time.

Best wishes,
Andrei Ol'khovatov