From: Thomas Kovacs
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 9:25 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Rare Shower?

Hi all,

I posted the message below a few days ago to the RASCals list, and was subsequently advised by Kim Hay that my best chance of getting answers would be to send it here – thanks again for all the info Kim!

I joined the list and look forward to participating with others in this flashy topic!

Hi all,

From about 10:30 to 11:00pm Tuesday night (July 22nd) I and members of my group at HFO saw 5 meteors that with no question had a radiant in Capricornus - but where *exactly* in Capricornus I couldn't say. If they had a common radiant then I believe they must have been either Alpha, Sigma or Tau Capricornids (or maybe a mix!). The date of observation is not in the max period for any of them, but is within the duration of each (the Sigma Capricornids have the closest peak date of July 23rd) From what I know of these showers, to have seen five in .5 hours is *extremely* rare; maybe not so much for the Alpha's, but definitely true for the Sigma and Tau showers. (I'm pretty sure these were from none of the Aquarid showers)

However, one of the meteors nicely fits the description of typical Alpha Capricornid - very slow and very bright. In fact, I wonder if others might have seen it at about 10:35pm. It was very bright (mag -3.0 to

-3.5) and disappeared into my horizon at PA 235, which would put its apparent path over Barrie/Newmarket, Guelph/Kitchener/Cambridge, London and so on. anyone see it? From where I was, it had a strong green/yellow colour and I could detect no trail.

I have lots of good info to offer on each of the meteors -- and if they were indeed either Tau or Sigma Capricornids, I'm sure somebody would like to have that info! But who would be best? The IMO? And does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to properly format this report so that the info is of maximum use?

Also, (now that I am in the meteorobs list) have there been any reports of heightened activity in any of the showers I mentioned? I just wonder if my group and I have been privileged enough to have witnessed a “storm” from what is usually a sparse radiant.

Thank-you!

Thomas

PS – In case you were wondering, “HFO” is the observatory where I work -- Haliburton Forest Observatory. A little more info can be found at www.haliburtonforest.com