[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor observatory

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcelo Kaczmarech" Subject: (meteorobs) meteor observatory

> Please, I would like of know if somebody has some kind of plans to build
an amateur observatory configured to meteor observing.
> Thanks!

 Marcelo:
    Back in the 1950's when I was a member of the Regina Astronomical
Society in Regina Saskatchewan, Canada, we built a simple wind break type
structure out of eight sheets of plywood, set up in an octagon fashion as a
wind break for use during IGY.  Dr. Peter Millman at the NRC in Ottawa used
a group observer system during this period. Six to eight observers and a
person to record the observations.  This method of observing is not
recommended today by the IMO.  Observers are expected to observe and report
on an individual basis today.  You can see a similar proto type set-up in
the book, Meteor Science and Engineering by D.W.R, McKinley on page 9, fig.
1-2, and a later version at the Springhill Meteor Observatory in Ottawa on
page 50, fig, 3-3.  This version shows heated individual observer enclosures
called, "coffins" which protected the observer from the cold in the winter.
If you live in a cold climate an individual observer encloser (coffin) of
this type may be useful.  I don't know of any plans but I'm sure it would be
easy to come up with a similar design on your own.  For "visual" observing,
such an arrangement could be useful but I would stick to using the
"individual" observing techniques used today by the IMO, AMS, and NAMN etc.
This will keep your observations compatable with the methods recommended
today.  If you mean a "photographic" meteor observatory, a simple "roll-off"
roof structure would be good.  It can house various cameras and
spectrographs for recording meteors.  The cameras can be mounted in the
building as weather protection and put to use when the roof is rolled back.
Many amateur astronomers use such structures as observatories to protect
telescopes.  Many designs can be found in back issues of Sky and Telescope,
Astronomy magazine and other books.  An all-sky camera to record bright
fireballs would also be useful at such a location.
    I hope this answers some or most of your questions regarding a "Meteor
Observatory".

Ed Majden -  EMO - Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay, B.C. Canada