[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing report July 31 from Hawaii

A clear night after a period of cloudy unsettled weather in the islands prompted me to do a bunch of observing last night. I did the usual mix of variable stars, comets and meteors. Unfortunately, the night started out very clear, but became more cloudy after midnight, the time I had set aside for the meteorobs! So, it was a tough session, fighting clouds by constantly shifting my FOV. On top of that, this time of year there were 8 active radiants to track. So this session was a real workout! Also, I tried a new location, literally on the beach a few miles west of my usual Dillingham site. Watching meteors to the crash of the surf was a wonderful experience.

Nothing too unusual to report, just a nice mixture of meteors from many directions. Actually the highlight of the evening was a bright green CAP of mag -5 dropping "straight down into the sea" through Perseus. But it happened earlier, while I was lining up my telescope on FI CAS, and not officially counted.

REPORT:
OBS: Mike Linnolt (LINMI)
DATE: Jul 31, 2003
TIME: 1206 - 1227 UT
LOC: Camp Erdman YMCA, Oahu, HI (21° 34' N, 158° 14m W)
ELEV: 3m
Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Temp 74F. RH 50%. Winds light.
METHOD: Paper

Observing Periods Summary:
==========================

# Period(UT) FOV   Teff  F   LM   CAP  NDA  SDA  PAU  PER  ANT  NPX  SPX  SPO
  ---------- ---   ----  -   ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
1 1206-1227 23h+00 0.33 1.10 6.3   1    1    1    0    1    1    0    1    3

Note: FOV varied to avoid clouds.

Periods Detail:
===============

Period #1: