[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation August 1/2 2003

This past Saturday morning, I was out at Casselman for a quick one
hour meteor session before the clouds moved in.  I did have some thin
clouds go by my field of view at times.  The transparency was decent,
but not exceptional.

I recorded 30 meteors in all.  The Perseids were quite surprising
with as many as 12 seen.  The brighter Perseids would usually be
quite colorful too!

The highlight was at 0640UT when a vivid blue-green Perseid of zero
mag appeared high in the south-east.  It left behind a one second
train.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 1/2 2003
BEGIN: 0607 UT (0207 EST)  END: 0720 UT (0320 EST)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 50m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align method

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________________radiant position
		CAP (Alpha Capricornids)_______________________2044 -09
		NDA (North Delta Aquarids)_____________________2200 -06
		SDA (South Delta Aquarids)_____________________2252 -14
		PAU (Pisces Austrinids)________________________2304 -27
		KCG (Kappa Cygnids)____________________________1848 +58
		PER (Perseids)_________________________________0220 +57
		ANT/SIA (sporadics from the antihelion)________2140 -13
		NPX (sporadics from the north apex)____________0240 +30
		SPX (sporadics from the south apex)____________0240 +00
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff__LM_____SDA_NDA_CAP_PAU_KCG_PER_ANT_NPX_SPX_SPO

0607-0720__2241+29__1.17__6.30____5___2___0___0___0__12___0___3___1___7 = 30

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined by
triangle star counts. All following columns indicate the number of
meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5_____AVE

SPO___1___0___2___2___5___1____+3.18
PER___1___2___2___3___2___2____+2.75
SDA___0___0___1___0___4___0____+3.60
NDA___0___0___1___1___0___0____+2.50

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball.  The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): 10% from 0705 to 0720

Corresponding F value: 1.025 for the period.

Dead time: 3 minutes

Breaks (UT):  0647-0650