[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation July 24/25 2003

Hi all,

I was able to get in a number of nights of meteor observing in late
July.  Starting on the Friday morning of July 25, I was out at a dark
sky site west of Ottawa near North Bay during a star party.  The sky
on that morning was crystal clear with a very good transparency.
Overhead the summer Milky Way was quite impressive, as were several
of the brighter deep sky objects to the naked eye.

With two hours teff, I recorded 33 meteors.  Most of the activity
consisted of sporadics with weak activity beginning to be noticed
from the Aquarids, Capricornids and Perseids.

The highlights included a very swift north apex sporadic at 0652 UT
of mag -1 that left behind a two second train.  Also at 0725 UT, a
pair of faint sporadics appeared barely a split second apart, which
was quite neat.

There was also a few very faint mag +6 meteors that I don't usually
see unless I have a very dark sky.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: July 24/25 2003
BEGIN: 0545 UT (0145 EST)  END: 0810 UT (0410 EST)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -79.368 West; Lat: 46.081 North  Elevation: 50m
City & Province: Powassan, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align method

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________________radiant position
		CAP (Alpha Capricornids)_______________________2004 -11
		NDA (North Delta Aquarids)_____________________2124 -09
		SDA (South Delta Aquarids)_____________________2220 -18
		PAU (Pisces Austrinids)________________________2224 -32
		ACG (Alpha Cygnids)____________________________2040 +49
		PER (Perseids)_________________________________0140 +53
		ANT (sporadics from the antihelion )___________2100 -16
		NPX (sporadics from the north apex)____________0200 +27
		SPX (sporadics from the south apex)____________0200 -03
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff__LM_____SDA_NDA_CAP_PAU_ACG_PER_ANT_NPX_SPX_SPO

0545-0651__2144+09__1.00__6.73____2___0___0___0___0___0___0___3___0___11
0651-0810__2304+15__1.03__6.55____0___1___1___0___0___1___0___6___0___8

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined