[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Real-time Chat "Meeting": Observing techniques for beginners (also, "Perseid Background")

Dear fellow meteor observers!

In preparation for the peak nights of the long-awaited
Perseid meteor shower next week (the peak is listed in
the IMO Calendar as 13 August, 04:40 UT), we've planned
another real-time meeting on the #meteorobs Internet
Relay Chat channel, on KreyNet!

The meeting will begin Friday, 08 August, at 20:00 UT.

(That is 4pm Eastern US Daylight Time, 10pm Brussels
time, 11pm Ankara or Athens time. In Sydney, this is
Saturday 09 August 6am, and 4am that day in Beijing.
If you live in Asia/Pacific, drop by and chat after
your all-night observing session Friday night! :-> )

On the table for our friendly discussion:

1) How can YOU observe and record the Perseids for
   posterity and for scientific analysis this year.

2) For more experienced chatters: Enhanced Perseid
   "background" rates - prospects, results so far?

3) Anything else meteor-related!

To chat in real time with your fellow observers around
the world, do either of the following:

  I) Go to:
         http://www.meteorobs.org/cgiirc/irc.cgi

Or (if you are familiar with IRC):

  II) Install some IRC freeware (e.g., http://mirc.com)
      Use your IRC software to connect to irc.kreydot net
      Join the #meteorobs "channel":
        /join #meteorobs

Choose a nickname for yourself which describes where
you are from: mine is 'MAmeteors', for MAssachusetts,
USA. The "nickname" you choose for yourself could be
'ILikeMeteors', 'HavanaMeteors', whatever you like!

We hope to "see" you there!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@meteorobs.org>
Webmaster: http://www.meteorobs.org