[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Some Perseids above annual in 2003?

>Hi Daniel and all,

>> > This is a misunderstanding, although indeed something unusual did
>> > happen on 12/13 August 1997.
>>
>> > I think Daniel mistakes with 11/12 August 1997.
>>
>> Something is mixed up, but not a lot to mistake about this line:
>>
>> Night 12/13 started with cirrus bands over greater parts of the
>> country.

>The peak, Esko is referring to was near 8h UT on August 12. This wasn't
>seen from the Netherlands. Nevertheless, rates were also fine on Aug 12/13 seen from Europe.See

>    http://www.imodot net/articles/shower/per97.html

>for the full picture of the 1997 Perseids from globally collected data.

This is correct what Raines says and you can see a dip in the population index plot at the location of the maximum:
"A strong decrease of r down to r=1.80±0.04 can be seen around sol approx. 139.7°, where we expect the first, sharp activity peak to take place."

Esko