[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Question on Radio meteors CW vs AM

Hi:

 Here's something I came across last night; During the morning till about
1600 UT I use CW mode at 83.24 MHz for the meteors, well last night I was
bored and about 0200 UT I turned the radio on and flicked over to the AM
mode and heard tonal pings, not many but a few. I'm wondering if AM would
be better to work with at night rather than CW?  I tried the AM earlier this
morning and heard nothing.
 The main reason is I think my poor ICOM RC-10 radio's volume is dying, I have
it at full and can still hear it but it sounds weaker. Now I have a police
scanner I bought from Radio Shack a few years ago, it's the Pro-60 BUT it does
not have CW but I CAN get 83.25 MHz!!! It has only  FM, AM, WFM ( Wide FM )
modes.
So, if my ICOM goes on me my only back up is the scanner, I did use it once
awhile
ago on meteors and it did pick them up on AM but the sound quality is not crisp
as the ICOM radio.

 Has anyone done AM mode with a radio for meteors?  I may try tonight and
listen for awhile to try and detect meteors with the scanner on AM mode, and if
it works, I may go CW in morning and AM at night.

 I did stop about 1300 UT because I beagn to get Sporadic E and right now 1544
UT I'm getting crackling static a lot. It is not thunder as I use to run the
radio
during the storms :o

 Comments welcome

 Mike