[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aug 12/13 Perseids success from Western Quebec

Hi all,

I haven't decoded my tape yet, but here's my impressions of last
night...

Last night I travelled to an unpolluted site located two hours north of
Ottawa to catch clear skies.  It was a successful night.  Good
transparency at the zenith for such a moonlit sky (LM=5.2 to 5.4 or
so), with the exception of about one hour of a thin sheet of clouds
after midnight.

While setting up still in very bright blue evening twilight here (near
21 EDT or close to 1 UT) it appeared some impressive earthgrazing
Perseids.  Very bright and long meteors!  It surprised me to see them
by just quick glances up since I wasn't ready to start until the sky
got reasonably dark.  Could this have been the "tail end" of the
possible 0 UT feature?  It seemed that as the sky got darker and
radiant rose higher, that the Perseids were on a decline.

After midnight and up until about 0300 EDT, there seemed to increase
again.  Even with the temporary blanket of clouds, quite a few bright
colorful meteors pierced right through!  After that, despite the
radiant approaching the zenith and lower moon, the Perseids seemed to
be declining quite steadily.

This year, Perseids seemed a good mix of both faint and bright meteors.
  There was a few nice colorful fireballs... the best was right before
morning twilight when a magnificent long magnitude -6 Perseid plunged
to the north-east with a terminal explosion, followed by a train
glowing and twisting for several seconds!

I need to catch up on some sleep now.  Stay tune for my full report
later today.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada