From: owner-atmob-discuss On Behalf Of Cathy Clemens
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 11:18 AM
To: atmob-discuss@atmob.org
Subject: (ATMoB:Discuss) the Milky Way from NYC!?!

Hi all,

I thought of all the delighted amateur astronomers last Thursday
night when I was in NYC (Queens - Rockaway Beach), and of others
who wished they, too, were in blackout regions.

Though feeling bad for people who relied on power (such as the
elderly and sick), I hoped the blackout would last for at least
a few hours beyond sunset, and it did (until about 2 am).

I gathered a hefty group of neighbors and went down to the beach
for a star party, w/o scopes (how was I to know??).  I pointed out
many objects of interest as people asked, we viewed a spectacular
moonrise over the ocean, and we saw several meteors.  And everyone
duly oohed and aahed over Mars.  But what really shocked me was
that we saw the Milky Way.  I was talking about Sag and the steam
you can see from the teapot in dark areas and sure enough, it went
right across the sky.  Admittedly, it was not the brightest MW
I've seen (cirrus film), but it was definitely visible, and it's
the first time I've seen it from NYC. Amazing!

Cathy
--
Cathleen Clemens
Project ASTRO Boston Coordinator    NESSIE Liaison for Education