[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation August 19/20 2003

Hi all,

Here's a report for a short session of last Tuesday night.  Nothing
exceptional to report with only 7 meteors.  The transparency was on the
poor side and I was forced to face much higher to the zenith than usual.

The highlight was a single swift mag 0 Perseid near the zenith that
appeared at 0424UT.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 19/20 2003
BEGIN: 0307 UT (2307 EST)  END: 0426 UT (0026 EST)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 50m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align method

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		KCG (Kappa Cygnids)____________________________1900 +59
		NIA (North Iota Aquarids)______________________2136 -07
		NDA (North Delta Aquarids)_____________________2244 -04
		SDA (South Delta Aquarids)_____________________2336 -12
		PER (Perseids)_________________________________0304 +58
		ANT (sporadics from the antihelion)____________2236 -08
		NPX (sporadics from the north apex)____________0336 +34
		SPX (sporadics from the south apex)____________0336 +04
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD___Teff____F____LM____KCG_NIA_NDA_SDA_PER_ANT_NPX_SPX_S
PO

0307-
0426__2142+35__1.20__1.00__6.00____0___0___1___0___1___0___0___0___5  =
  7

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky). The fourth column (F) is a value for obstructions in the field of
view such as clouds (1.00 = 100% clear skies). The next column (LM) is
the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined by triangle star
counts. All following columns indicate the number of meteors for each
shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____0__+1__+2__+3__+4_____AVE

SPO__0___0___0___1___4____+3.80
NDA__0___0___0___1___0____+3.00
PER__1___0___0___0___0____+0.00

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): none

Dead time: 7 minutes
Breaks (UT): 0343-0349