[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Daylight fireball 24 August 2003

Update:

    I posted to the various newsgroups, RASCals, sci.astro, meteorobs, and
bolide-chasers, requesting reports from observers of this daylight fireball.
We have had no response as yet from anyone.
    The daylight fireball occurred on 2003 August 24 at 15:22:13 +/- 20
seconds P.D.T.  It was observed from Seattle, Wa., Chilliwack, B.C. and
Kelowna, B.C.  The report from Kelowna was by Mr. Jim Failes, an amateur
astronomer.  He estimated the magnitude to be around -15 but this is
difficult for daylight fireballs.  I must congratulate Jim for observing
this fireball under the adverse forest fire conditions in the Kelowna area.
Unfortunately non of our all-sky cameras captured this event.  All observers
seem to be on one side of the track so unless we get more information a
triangulation will not be possible.  I wonder if this was recorded by the
USAF/DOD satellite system.  Perhaps Peter Brown can answer this.

Ed Majden
Courtenay, B.C.