[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Aug 31, 2003

    The West Coast Sandia Bolide Detection Network, EMO Courtenay Station
and the Alberta Bolide Detection Network recorded a bright fireball, -15+
magnitude on August 31, 2003 at 06:35:37 U.T.
The Alberta all-sky near Calgary recorded a very bright fireball where-as,
the detection by my unit at Courtenay B.C. was very much less bright.  We
think this may be one of the most distant detection of a fireball over North
America.  The Courtenay station was around 450 km distant from it.  A number
of visual reports have come in from across Alberta and B.C. and Washington
State.  We are looking for more reports and video records of this event.  If
you know of any, please let me know.  The fireball must have been
spectacular from the Kelowna-Cranbrook area.  Unfortunately these regions
have been plagued by wild forest fires, over 100 homes burnt and several
historic railroad trestles destroyed. Very sad! They indeed have their hand
full fighting the fires.  These are still causing problems as the weather
has not been cooperating.  Hottest and dryest weather on record I'm told.
We NEED steady a heavy rain, a comment you don't frequently hear from an
astronomer.
    Be sure and let us know if you have any reports or video's of this
fireball.  The reduction of the observation is still in progress.

Ed Majden - MIAC Assiciate
Sandia Bolide Detection Station - Courtenay, B.C. CANADA