[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball Aug 31, 2003

--- In meteorobs@yahoogroups.com, Ed Majden <epmajden@s...> wrote:
>     The West Coast Sandia Bolide Detection Network, EMO Courtenay
Station
> and the Alberta Bolide Detection Network recorded a bright
fireball, -15+
> magnitude on August 31, 2003 at 06:35:37 U.T.
> The Alberta all-sky near Calgary recorded a very bright fireball
where-as,
> the detection by my unit at Courtenay B.C. was very much less
bright.  We
> think this may be one of the most distant detection of a fireball
over North
> America.  The Courtenay station was around 450 km distant from it.
A number
> of visual reports have come in from across Alberta and B.C. and
Washington
> State.  We are looking for more reports and video records of this
event.

I've received several fireball reports for this date and time, but
mostly from Ontario. The latest received is the following:

Date:  August 31, 2003
Time:  12:30 a.m. (00:30)

We have a home on Picnic Island in Honey Harbour, Ontario.  At 12:30
AM my
daughter and I were out for a short walk when the entire park lit up
with
a brilliant bright light.  The light had a slight green glow to it
and I
thought it was a car coming up the road with strange headlights until
turned around and noticed an orange/green ball of light above our
heads.
As soon as we looked at it, it exploded directly above the trees
beside
us, when it exploded it was like a firework exploding in all
directions
with orange balls of fire.  I did hear a sound that is hard to
explain, I
believe what we saw was a bolide.  I spoke to several people around
the
park who had seen it and everyone saw a ball of light explode and
several
heard the explosion.

Follow-Ups: References: