[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor observations Sept 23/24 2003

Well, here are the results of my brief but rewarding mini-period
of last Wednesday morning. I was short one meteor from my
earlier post; with 35 minutes of Teff I actually saw 11 meteors
 + 2 casual ones just a minute or so before the observation began.
Five meteors aligned *very* nicely with the DAU (!?!)radiant
(the position for last Saturday night of  04:48 +48) using the
cord method.  60% of these had trains, which made cord
alignment a snap.  As a whole, most of the meteors were
fairly bright.  No fireballs were seen.

As could be imagined, I was completely dejected when clouds
quickly brought things to a halt beginning about 7:50 UT,
spoiling any chance to confirm the higher rates.

Finally, the first "official" meteor is listed as SPO below; while it lined
up with the
DAU radiant it had a rather long path length that should have
excluded it from originating at near 04:48 +48.
OBSERVER: Kim S. Youmans (YOUKI) DATE: 09-23/24-2003
BEGIN:07:22UT END 07:57UT LOCATION: Treutlen Co, Ga.
82. 24' 25" W; 32. 24' 45" N
METHOD: Tape Elev. 240 ft
Facing Southeast, sky 0 %0bscured
No Breaks

Period 1 07:22-7:57UT SPO(4) DAU(5) KAQ(1) NAPX(1)
Dead time = 0 min, Teff = 0.583
Avg. LM = +6.17, FOV Mid period 3hr 40 +28
Sol Long. 180.797

Showers Observed
SPO   (4)
KAQ  (1)   22:40 -04
DAU  (5)    04:48 +48
NAPX(1)   05:52 +38
SAPX(0)    05:52 +08
ANT  (0)    00:52 +06

Magnitude Distribution

DAU(5)    +1(1) +2(3)  +3(1)
KAQ(1)                        +3(1)
SPO(4)     +1(1) +2(1)  +3(1) +4(1)
NAPX(1)            +2(1)
Meteor Data

P1
Time    Shower    Mag.   Speed (0-5)      Comments
07:28   SPO         4             4                   2 sec train
07:28   KAQ        3             2                    very brief
07:29   SPO         1             2
07:32   SPO         3             2
07:35   DAU        3             3                    brief train
07:40   DAU        2             3
07:42   DAU        4             3
07:45   SPO         2             4
07:45   NAPX      2             4
07:47   DAU        2             4           2 sec train - - overhead/swift
07:53   DAU        1             3                 <1 sec. train