[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) daytime fireball photographed in Wales, UK

> It looks as though it's fireball prime time. We already had an Indian
> meteorite fall and recovery, read Marco Langbroek's message
> about the fireball above The Netherlands, Belgium, and France,
> and now I found pictures of a daylight fireball which occurred above
> Wales (UK) last week. You can find the pictures on
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasadot gov/apod/ap031001.html
>
> Does anyone have more data on this daylight fireball? On the above
> website, the date isn't even listed :-(
>
> Cis Verbeeck

...don't forget to view the second picture as well (link in text below the
picture).

My initial reaction to photo 1 was: "this is fake". But looking at both
photographs for a while, I'm not so sure. This COULD be two images of the
sun-illuminated dust & vapor cloud of a bolide (I don't think the first
picture shows the actual bolide as claimed: it simply doesn't look like a
bright meteor).

And then a sharp 'bang' hit my mind: because last week I was called by a
good and highly reliable friend who was in the train going to Limburg and
called over his cellphone because there was a strange orange streak low in
the sky "like some comet or something". I actually thought he was seeing a
sun-illuminated airplane trail at that time.

- Marco

------
Marco Langbroek
Leiden, the Netherlands