[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Additional information on daylight fireball

> According to this information: the pictures were taken at 19:13:37 and
> 19:18:18 camera time (=local Wales time; UT +1?), on wednesday 24/09/2003.

If this date is correct, a satellite or rocket debris decay is not likely. I
checked but the NASA OIG server lists only one decay for the period Sep
23-27, and that was on the previous day, on Sep 23. It concerned a very
small piece of debris from a Thor Agena rocket, NORAD # 05226 (1970-025KH).
For security I also checked with the latest orbit for this object but even
if it had survived untill sep 24th it would not have passed over this part
of Europe around the time of this picture being taken. It would anyway have
been too small to cause something of this magnitude.

So this was either a true fireball or the picture shows something completely
different.

- Marco

Marco Langbroek

marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
meteorites@dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek

"What seest thou else
 In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

                            William Shakespeare
                            The Tempest act I scene 2