[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible Meteors from Mars?

Hi.All
The late September to mid October has been a time that
Jim Gamble(EL Paso All Sky Camera) and myself have
watched for fireballs.I was lucky to have stood almost
directly under the October 3,1996 far west Texas
meteor event.One of the most amazing bolide meteors I
have ever seen.So you can understand my interest in
fireballs this time of year.There are so many bright
fireball and falls recorded in this time period
example the well known Peekskill event , October
9,1997 ElPaso Texas daylight airburst event and
several others I just cannot recall. You would think
by now that someone would have figured out where all
this activity is coming from.I have found records on
the internet as far back as the mid 1800's of activity
for the late September mid October period.
Just since September 17 this year there has been over
a dozen -5 magnitude or brighter fireballs recorded by
the all sky camera network in New Mexico and far West
Texas.I do believe these numbers will increase as we
go into the month of October as they do almost every
year.
As to the source of this activity I have read
everything from asteroid Hebe, to Mars, to the October
Draconids, to undiscoveried sources.I guess it comes
to what you wish to believe on this one.
Regards
Thomas Dorman
Far West Texas Skywatcher
Horizon City Texas