[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Halifax damage aftermath

Unfortunately one of the reasons that utility companies push nighttime
light usage is because they are trying to increase demand at night.
When the sun sets, demand falls drastically which makes it a techical
challenge to run an efficient powerplant.  Most utilities will install a
free security light/pole and all you have to pay is the cost of the
electricity.

One of my ideas is to use excess nighttime power from non-hydroelectric
powerplants to pump water upstream of hydroelectric dams.  During the
day, hydroelectric power can be produced from this water, reducing the
need to run other powerplants at higher levels.  At night the
hydroelectric shuts down and non-hydroelectric power sources could take
up the load.

The only other way I heard to solve this problem is creation of a
world-wide power grid.  Somehow I think that will never happen.

Charlie
Sorry for the off-topic, but knowledge is power :-)

Michael Linnolt wrote:

>Considering how many light fixtures are down at once, this may be an opportune time to contact some key authorities about replacing them with low-wattage full cutoffs, from now on!
>
>Mike
>The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
>To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
>http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html
>
>.

Follow-Ups: References: