[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Halifax damage aftermath

The Los Angeles Power grid at Sylmar California is linked to the
Columbia River in Washington state by a DC power line that does just
what you are suggesting.  When LA has excess power it is indeed sent to
the Columbia Station, which if it has no power needs,  pumps the
Columbia river water back upstream for later use.  They must have been
doing that for the last forty years that I know of.  DC power is used
over this long distance because the lack of the AC skin effect reduces
the IR losses considerably.  The wires carrying this very heavy load are
surprisingly small.

-----c-HArlie wrote:

> Unfortunately one of the reasons that utility companies push nighttime
> light usage is because they are trying to increase demand at night.
> When the sun sets, demand falls drastically which makes it a techical
> challenge to run an efficient powerplant.  Most utilities will install
> a free security light/pole and all you have to pay is the cost of the
> electricity.
>
> One of my ideas is to use excess nighttime power from
> non-hydroelectric powerplants to pump water upstream of hydroelectric
> dams.  During the day, hydroelectric power can be produced from this
> water, reducing the need to run other powerplants at higher levels.
> At night the hydroelectric shuts down and non-hydroelectric power
> sources could take up the load.
>
> The only other way I heard to solve this problem is creation of a
> world-wide power grid.  Somehow I think that will never happen.
>
> Charlie
> Sorry for the off-topic, but knowledge is power :-)
>
> Michael Linnolt wrote:
>
>> Considering how many light fixtures are down at once, this may be an
>> opportune time to contact some key authorities about replacing them
>> with low-wattage full cutoffs, from now on!
>>
>> Mike
>> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
>> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
>> http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html
>>
>> .
>>

> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:

Follow-Ups: References: