[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Recording sound from fireballs

Hi Ed,

Laslo Evers, who authored this GRL paper, is someone I know personally, so
if you are interested I could give you an introduction to him. Maybe he can
give you some advise and suggestions.

It is interesting work, this infrasound. The KNMI network of infrasound
arrays consist of a number of such detectors spread over our country, and if
more than one of the detectors detects infrasound, it is possible to
pinpoint the point of origin.
Laslo's infrasound detectors have now detected several bolides over our part
of Europe, and nowadays it is customary with me to give a note to him
everytime I receive observations of a fireball, upon which he checks his
infrasound records. For example, the daylight fireball of May this year over
our coastal area was detected by him, and the sightlines by eye-witnesses to
the point where they saw the fireball extinguish coincide quite well with
the point of origin he determined for the infrasound detections, suggesting
that the sound was produced during the terminal burst of this fireball.

Laslo's work on infrasound detections of bolides has given me a new impetus
to collect observations of fireballs over our part of Europe, as it means
there's a proper 'use' for these now (and it is thus worth the effort of
collecting and analysing chance observer's witness accounts - which are
often not the easiest kind of data analysis, which makes you often think
about why you are doing it). I actually hope that one day this kind of work
might rekindle the waning activities of our once quite active all-sky camera
network, just as it managed to rekindle my interest in trajectory
reconstructions of fireballs from visual eyewitness accounts. So if you
manage to set up a similar network within MIAC, I think this could certainly
add to your fireball detection efforts.

- Marco

Dr Marco Langbroek

marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
meteorites@dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek

"What seest thou else
 In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

                            William Shakespeare
                            The Tempest act I scene 2