[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: microphone for sonic booms

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrice Scattolin"
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Re: microphone for sonic booms

> How about a tent structure. Nylon or some other hydrofuge material. The
> sides could even
> be open for better sound transmission. I am thinking, there's got to be
> some fabric
> in the outdoors industry that you could do something with.
>
> Mind you, your mic will still have to be handle humidity on it's own,
> fog comes to mind.

Patrice:
    I wonder if a mic could be mounted under a thin plastic dome which could
be heated to prevent moisture problems?  If it was like the sonic boom I
heard on the early morning of December 17, 1996, I don't think where the
microphone was located would be a problem.  I was in bed and when it
occurred it was like a sharp dynamite blast and the house shook!  Dr. Tatum
received visual reports from over 800 witnesses scattered over B.C.
Washington State and Oregon.  The fireball passed directly over us and if it
dropped a meteorite it was off of mid Vancouver Island just off the west
coast in the Pacific.  Too bad we didn't have the all-sky cameras at this
time.  See: J.Br.Astron.Assoc. 110, 2, 2000 for a detailed report.

Ed Majden

Follow-Ups: References: