[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids from East GA

  Just a quick note that I was able to observe for two hours this morning
before being washed out by ground fog.  Rates weren't terribly great under
near ideal sky conditions --  I haven't checked my star counts but I'm
guessing LM +6.3 or better.
However, I did see probably the brightest Orionid fireball of my life this
morning, a multicolored -6(?) that shot directly out of the radiant into
nearby Canis Major and did not conform to the path length/radius rule at
all --  it began right at the radiant and traveled only perhaps fifteen
degrees at most.  It was a bright silvery blue with violet and orange mixed
in, no train to speak of but the very brief wake looked like a laser.  The
meteor head seemed to slide down the wake getting bigger and brighter as
it went .  It was quite a sight!

Only saw about thirty or so meteors in two hours, 5:47-7:47 UT;  maybe half
of these were Orionids.

Hope to have my report in by later this evening.

Kim Youmans

Follow-Ups: References: