[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Another possibly-misidentified fireball

----- Original Message -----
From: <nmcleod@peganet.com>
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Another possibly-misidentified fireball

> Any time something like this happens at, or near, the maximum of a shower,
> the  "experts"  instantly identify the unknown object as a member of the
> shower.  Often it came from the  "showers."   The experts include such
> categories as meteorologists and non-observing professional astronomers.
> They don't know a thing about meteor behavior, especially that most of the
> major showers are not visible so early in the evening.

    This happens time and time again!  Some of this can be blamed on the
press or reporter doing the interview.  Boy, can they distort and misquote
what you tell them!  Ask to see the copy before they use it.  The above is
also true about the identification of meteorites.  Some geologists and
astronomers from other fields wouldn't recognise a meteorite if it hit them
on the head.  Often experts aren't 100% sure until the appropriate lab tests
are done.

Ed Majden