[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Observation Oct 24/25 East GA

Kim,
    Great report and well done!

I saw more Orionids this morning, four nights after the tuesday morning
peak, than I did during my two hours on tuesday...albiet I was out two hours
later than I was tuesday.

Timing your observing sessions for the ORIs is very important to success at
seeing them.  Most folks tend to observe the Orionids way too early in the
evening.  It has been my experience that not much really happens with them
until after 4:30 a.m. Local Time.  Although I was not able to get out this
year due to work and family commitments, some of my past years Orionid rates
follow (all times were between 0430 - 0630 Local Time in the 20/21 to 23/24
timeframe).

1976 - 29/hour (From N. Fla)
1977 - 24/hour (From N. Fla)
1985 - 32/hour (From N. Fla)
1996 - 38/hour (From Sicily)  Lots of bright ones and several fireballs!!!

2004 will be a perfect year for observing the Orionids without moon
problems.  Just remember:  best results tend to be in the last two hours of
darkness before dawn starts.

Best to all, Paul in FL

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup