[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Massive solar flare

> People on other forums are asking how to deal with this mega flare.
> How dangerous is it?

Not.

> And should people keep children indoors?

No.

Currently the influence of this flare on earth is a so called proton storm. These storms are classified S1 (Minor) to S5 (Extreme). The current storm is of class S3 (Strong). Unless you're an astronaut in outerspace, you don't have to worry about an S3 storm.

In a few hours there will be a well argumented estimated time of arrival for the 'actual' matter of the CME, I expect this ETA will be within 24 hours. And then there is a real chance to see the Northern/Southern Lights from a large part of the world. It is also during this phase that problems with power grids may occur, depending on how strong the activity is.

Daniel