[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT-- Descanso Observatory structure/fires

For those who might be interested, but some of you may recall that I had a meteor observatory in Descanso, California...this is in San Diego County where one of those big fires is located. It was on my father in laws property. I haven't used it in about 4 or 5 years now, so it was empty inside. But still was a good platform in its day. Anyhow, the fire raced thru that area and burned everything up as far as the eye could see...except for my father in laws house, the observatory and two more local houses. All around looks like a moonscape now. The firemen had to cut down a couple oak and pine trees to ensure its protection. Looks like it worked. They also sprayed the structures with a special kind of fire retardant foam. It usually works pretty good, but you run out pretty quick. At one time Bob Lunsford and I observed from there for several years. Had visitors such as Rainer Arlt, Juergen Rendtel, Dave Holman, Joseph Assmus and Cathy Hall observing from there...Rainer and Juergen even spent a day sleeping inside on some cots in 1995. I'm sure it was very uncomfortable. Anyhow, the house behind my father in laws is still standing too. But the house that was across that dirt road from the observatory where some of us observed from the night you guys were there, burned down along with all the brush. You can't see the house without going around the front on the paved road. I'm just guessing, but I think there is a better field of view all around now. Well...I'm retired now and living near Sonora, Calif. Things are quite nice up here. But hearing on the news of all these places that are burning up seems quite strange to me. Just about everywhere are landmarks to me. I recall certain buildings, trees along roads etc that are no longer there. They said nearly all of Crest burned down...heck, I fought one of my last major fires there about 2 years ago, but now apparently all the structures we saved are gone. Got a lot of friends who had to evacuate as well as one of my former coworkers who actually lost his house while fire fighting. Well...just thought I would put something out about it since some of you distant folks were once in the area that is being affected right now. Kinda like putting a face on things you read about.
George Zay