[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) fireball and impact (maybe)

A very bright fireball was seen traveling north-ward through Arkansas this
evening (9:50 local time, 03:50 UT).  A friend reported the bolide brighter than
the gibeous moon.  He also said he could see structure as though the meteor were
quite close--or quite large.

Later this evening I recieved a report that a fire was started 20 mi. west of
Jonesboro, AR with the meteor cited as the probable culprit.  There is a college
in Jonesboro, so hopefully a professor will get to the area to investigate
(otherwise I may have to go there myself).  I'll try to keep you all informed.

I know meteors don't normally start fires, but how big does a meteor have to get
before it becomes possible?

Clear skies,
--Terry