[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) fireball and impact (maybe)

In a message dated 11/3/2003 11:24:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, tenacious@cyberback.com writes:
>>A friend reported the bolide brighter than
the gibeous moon.  <<
That would be about a -8 magnitude.

>>Later this evening I recieved a report that a fire was started 20 mi. west of
Jonesboro, AR with the meteor cited as the probable culprit. <<
I wouldn't give that report much weight.

>>I know meteors don't normally start fires, but how big does a meteor have to get
before it becomes possible?<<

Humongous....something that would leave a decent sized crater when it hits the ground. If this was one that would create a fire, there should be no problem in finding where it hit....just look for signs of the nearest major disaster....trees blown over and a fairly large hole in the ground.
GeoZay