[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Encke and Taurids this year?

>Encke met the earth so close at this node last time was in 1937 and 1970.

>Huan

This brings to mind the memorable Taurids of 1971.  Rates were fair, up to
10/hr, but what really made it great was the numerous fireballs.  Almost
every night for about 2 weeks I was seeing them.  Mostly  -4m to -6m.   1972
still had decent rates and some fireballs, but then 1973 was very poor.
1974 was another great year, rates very good, solidly in low- to
mid-teens/hour with some fireballs.  I had one freak hour with 21 Taurids.

I have noticed that years ending in 0,1,4, and 7 have the better rates and
more bright ones.  Clearly in step with Comet Encke's orbital period of 3.3
years.  Fortunately the moon will be in a better situation for the Taurids
in 2004 than presently.  Rates get good after 10 PM local and stay good
until 3 AM, after which they decline due to the Taurid radiants going back
down that late.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor