[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Encke and Taurids this year?

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:30:42AM -0500, Paul Jones wrote:
> >I have noticed that years ending in 0,1,4, and 7 have the better rates and
> >more bright ones.
>
> >Norman
>
> Also, Norman, I would add to the list the amazing Taurid fireball year of
> 1981 as further evidence of this cycle.  That year, I recall seeing at least
> 3 or 4 Taurid fireballs an hour almost all night long.  Nothing like it in
> my meteor memory save the 1998 Leonids.   1984 was also a very strong Taurid
> year ratewise for me (15 per hour), without the fireballs though.  You may
> be on to something here.
>
> Regards to all list folks,
> Paul

I also recall seeing 3 or 4 Taurid fireballs an hour on a weekend night in
early November 1981. The Goddard Astronomy Club had a star party at the
Caroline Furnace retreat in Virginia. It was not as many fireballs as the
great Leonid Bolide Shower of 1998, but I have never seen so many Taurid
fireballs in one night.

GWG

Follow-Ups: References: