[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Encke and Taurids this year?

November 7, 2003

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

I must say, out of all of the meteor showers I have
watched--- or better put, tried to watch, only the
Perseids and Taurids have really made a meteoric
impression with my observations.  I admit, I must be a
lousy meteor hunter, for even when I do monitor
activity, I rarely (if ever) see as many meteors as I
should be able to.  Of course, the weather conditions
are extremely important, among other things, for a
bountiful hunt--- I only know it all too well.

Despite all of the above, I wanted to recall the
success I had in 2001.  That year, I saw my first
Taurid fireball (-3 mag.) plus a few dimmer Taurids on
November 4/5.  There was a full or nearly full moon
out too and given my luck at meteors, I thought that
year was pretty interesting.  I don't quite recall my
Taurid hunts in 2002, but I think it would be
something worthwhile to compare.

Sadly, I have no Taurid reports for this year, only
clouds and a cold...

Long, bright, Taurid fireballs!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA