[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT (2nd. Try): The November 8, 2003 Lunar Eclipse

NOTE: This post was already sent, but it didn't make
it to the list before.

November 10, 2003

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

The skies were crisp and clear during the eclipse!
Thus, I managed to view it through many of its
different stages with the naked eye, binoculars, and
even with my sister's Bushnell (rotary 340 power)
telescope!  Despite the many trees surrounding our
house, the darkening moon could even be seen from the
comfort of indoors too.  It was a sight, possibly my
first total lunar eclipse.

The sky was enhanced significantly, and became a
rather queer sight to actually see so many dim stars
so close to the "snuffed" moon.  Sadly, I did not see
any meteors from the time I was outside ~8:06-29 PM
EST (1:06-29 UT) and I did not bother to record any
information as in a meteor report.  The data one can
record for Lunar eclipses is quite new to me.

Nevertheless, I did note some interesting aspects of
this eclipse which have turned into questions:

1. I was under the allusion that the recent eclipse
was a total one.  However, during "totality", I kept
noticing that the bottom edge of the moon was
brighter than all of the rest, particularly from the
bottom left if I remember right.  It never seemed to
have been completely eclipsed.  Is that possible or
what was I seeing?

2.  Sometime after 1:10 UT, I peered through the
telescope (looking for the first signs of
"emergence") at the bottom, bright region mentioned
above and noted that the bottom "right" edge seemed to
be brighter than the left.  What does one make of
that?

Long, bright, early Leonids!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA